You’ll love this adorable braided hairstyle with bows made from hair! This hairstyle would be great for school, recitals, weddings, flower girls, church, communions, and other special occasions.
This hair tutorial and basic concept was inspired by a photo we saw on an awesome Instagram account by @mylittlebraids. We thought the lace braids and feathered strands were so delicate and beautiful, we had to give it a try! The elastic bows sitting centered between the 2 lace French braids look a lot like little “bow ties” to us. So cute! If you like this hairstyle, you may want to check out our “fishtail bow braid” from a few years ago which is also a very cute style using hair to make bow ties!
We placed this bow tie braid in a headband type design, along the front / side of her head and ended the style in a hair wrapped side ponytail. Of course, you could finish this hairstyle with a low side bun, or braid as well. I’m thinking a pull through braid or elastic braid in the ponytail would be very cute. Adding beads or jewels to the center of each bow braid would be so pretty as well.
The trick to getting this hairstyle to turn out well is taking tiny sections (micro braiding) as you are creating the initial braids. If you want to use larger sections, you could always make 1 or 2 hair bows instead of 3 though!
A back view of the hair wrapped side ponytail……
Supplies needed to recreate this hairstyle:
- Several temporary hair ties or clips to help section and hold the hair while you are working.
- Around 3 tiny elastics (actual number will depend on how many bows you decide to make.) The tiny elastics we used in the center of our bows are “Goody” brand (affiliate.)
- 1 medium size hair tie or clear elastic for the top of the ponytail.
- Pomade, gel, wax, etc. to help prevent flyaways. If your hair is prone to frizz, I would suggest braiding your hair wet for this hairstyle to help keep things smooth.
- 1 Clear elastic or bobby pin for securing the hair around the elastic if you are making the “hair wrapped ponytail.”